Thursday, October 30, 2008

A Novel Idea

So when we last left our hapless (and newly Hapa'd) girlfriend, she had just been to a posh writing residency in Wyoming where she had inexplicably written 100 pages of a fresh novel and felt pretty damn good about herself.

And that's all she wrote. Literally. In other words (no pun intended), life has kicked in and made sitting down to write a might less easy than it had been when she was in Wyoming, and the only thing she had to worry about was how much chicken it took to feed six.

Happily I no longer have to consider how much chicken to buy, but I do have to write that damn novel. As you all know, I have turned over a more proactive leaf in my life, and I've decided not to muddle along forever. Besides, if short stories are dates and novels are serious boyfriends (and god knows you spend enough time with them), then I just wasn't that into my first book - but find myself falling in love with this second one. Chemistry doesn't just apply to human involvement apparently. My second book and I have a good thing going. (And by the way, Hapa Boy returned from a business trip with a swollen face from a random allergic reaction, and he is still indescribably hot. So there you go. Chemistry.)

But I digress.

Here's what I did: I signed up for NaNoRiNo - National Novel Writing Month. Mind you, I'm cheating. I'm supposed to start the book on November 1, and obviously I'm not. But I'm hoping this will get me writing 2000 words a day, rain or shine. I'm guessing rain.

Your cheerful "You can do it, Tiger!" good wishes are welcome.

2 comments:

eM said...

you can do it tiger!

rawr!!

*wink*
**creepy McCant Smile**

Anonymous said...

Wait, wait, I liked that confused, gender bending character in the first novel, not to mention her/his junk shop theiving parents. Whatever is to happen to her/him?

You CAN write 2000 words a day. Absolutely.