Monday, April 7, 2008

Ten Things I Love

Given the grousing I've indulged in so far, I'm going to follow the lead of my friend and mentor, Tothie, who - being as how she isn't from New York or Jewish - believes in accentuating the positive. So here are ten things I love, all found in Seattle:

1. My dog's face. Brutto has a very cute, worried little face. With a small pink tongue that sticks out when he's sleeping. Also he howls when he's happy. It's hard to be depressed when your dog howls in joy at the sight of you.

2. Wicky-Wack cottages. The pinker and more trellis-y the better. Extra points for picket fences and extremely neat lawns. You just know the conversation at breakfast is about that lawn.

3. Sushi. Especially if someone else is paying.

4. Thrift stores where they price everything at $2.00 or less. I have to stop myself from throwing down a fifty and buying the entire store.

5. Old couples holding hands. Isn't that the bees knees?

6. Fish and chips. I don't even like to eat it very often. I just feel happy knowing it's waiting for me, down the street. Preferably wrapped in newspaper as it should be.

7. Paying all of 99 cents for my skincare line of choice while my sister pays $220 for her jar of Creme de Mer de Expense. (My skincare? Vaseline. YES. Vaseline. I'm telling you, it works.)

8. Misty, crisp days where you need a sweater under your jacket and a jaunty scarf around your neck.

9. My electric blanket, purchased at Hospice Thrift new in the package for $3.00. Ahh.

10. Watching three ducks stop rush hour traffic while they walk slowly across two lanes back to Green Lake.The look on the faces of the drivers waiting for the ducks to cross the road, a mix of disbelief, tension, rage, and affection.

This post was brought to you by the letter "L."

No comments: